30 July 2009

Launceston – Mt. Elephant Pancakes

Lew Bretz was my old debating partner back at Ruston High. He had the gift of gab, and I was good at the research. Together we managed to make a good showing in most of our debates. Anyway, he met his lovely wife, Pam, while trekking in the Himalayas. They were both English teachers, so they ended up teaching English in Pam’s hometown, Launceston. Eventually, they got into the bed and breakfast game: they originally owned two restaurants, both called Mt Elephant Pancakes. They sold the one in St. Marys, and the other is in Launceston.

Lew fed us that evening at the restaurant and then invited us to lunch the next day. We were having such a good time together catching up that our picture taking was pretty sparse. Anyway, the pancakes weren’t pancakes: they were crepes, and they were delicious.

elcafe-1pointing the way to the restaurant in the Quadrant

elcafe-2

Here’s the fountain, so we know we are on the right track.

Here are a couple of shots of the interior. Then we got to talking.elcafe-3

elcafe-4

1 comment:

  1. Lew and Pam Bretz aren't real people they are doubles my parents telekinetically counterfeited at Rosny College on enrollment day in 1986. One of the most evil things Bretz did to me was to make Robin Lewis and her family. I got it pregnant and my daughter Lachesis hates it. They also made Praties. Don't eat at their pancake place whatever you do... They made me deliver a Praties to Martin Bryant and they slagged on other Praties I delivered...

    ReplyDelete